Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Going Hiking

As several of you may have noticed, I have a new camera, and have been using it. Nowhere will this be more apparent than in this post.

See, I got off work today to hike to Timp cave with my family, and rather than blog about it with words, I'd much rather give you some pictures with comments. Easy for me. : D

(Oh, and I did not steal this from dearchilly. This was how I was planning to do this all along.)

We have arrived! The first thing Siri notices is the river below. The first thing the rest of us notice is the sign. "Walking on water is prohibited."
Patsy, holding Cait while we wait for Father to purchase our tickets for the cave. His indifference extends to both the baby and the person holding the camera.
Siri, looking entirely too cute with her hair up in ponytails. Oh, by the way, we did embark on this hike with a three-month-old and a four-year-old (as well as my 80-year-old grandpa.) You shouldn't worry about them, though. I was the one falling behind.
Here's Cait, all suited up and ready to hike... ride, that is. Mother carried her all the way up, and held her (as well as fed her!) all through the caves.
Boo is an amazingly cute girl when she stops to smile. This is about the best picture I have ever taken of her. She did surprisingly well the whole hike; just a little hyperactive, hardly any complaining. Huzzah!
There are 18 of these signs along the trail, and we stopped at each one so Father could read aloud from this book. Due to this, many many people passed us, and I was able to take pictures without falling further behind. Of course, whenever the camera comes out, Siri is quick to notice and get in the picture.
Here's... half? of my siblings, posing in a little tunnel. Behind them you can see a sign, one of many that my sister and I read in tandem with matching English accents. We were more than a little annoying.
This is a wall. Why does the wall have sharp rocks in it? So you won't sit on it and risk falling down, down down...
Red lines mean "High risk of falling rocks! Keep moving!" Some of these lines were incredibly long, and many of them were uphill. Often the walkway along them was frighteningly dented.
Somehow... I don't know... I took all these pictures up and back, but I didn't really care much in the caves themselves. Here's one shot, one that I decided to do without my flash. For no reason.
I had been stopping all along the way to shoot any trash I found, and on peeking over a wall, I spotted this hat. As I prepared to take a picture, however, my phone rang. Yes. I was halfway up a mountain, and my phone rang. I had a rather mundane conversation with the caller (probably mostly due to the fact that I didn't tell the caller I was halfway up a mountain), then took the picture.
Siri gets odd obsessions with certain numbers every now and then. Today was 13's turn, so i made sure to point out the 13 medallion in the ground. I took a picture mostly to help cheer her - she was seriously flagging by this point, and kept insisting she couldn't "walk properly."
"Um, where's Siri? Everyone, where's Siri?" "I assume she's with dad..." "Let's stop and wait, just to make sure." "Oh! There they are. Someone should probably take Siri; dad has Caiti already."
47!!!! (Also, we're over halfway down!)
What you see is nothing less than amazing. During the last quarter of the hike, my dad was carrying not only his backpack and Caiti, but Siri as well. Enjoy your hike indeed.
After conquering Timp, we tackled a nearby Wendy's. Mostly at my insistence. I really needed something to eat by then.
Not surprisingly, Siri was zonked at the first available opportunity. This was a lot for short four-year-old legs to go through. Her sleep was well earned.
Also not surprisingly, by the time Cait was through sleeping through the hike and being fed while Mother wandered the caves, she was alert, watchful, and... trying to eat her burp diaper.

So that was my day today. Man, I'm so tired.

No comments: